Student Questions & Answers
Luminous Works students are invited to email their instructor with questions that arise after the course is over. Since many of you may benefit from the answers we've supplied over the years, we built our Q & A page as a resource. We've just begun the process, so check back periodically as the list of questions grows.
Insightful tips & tutorials
Short, sweet, and casual. Tips and tutorials from us and our friends.
- Better white type on black fields in Illustrator. This tip may help you use more delicate typefaces even when the text needs to be white on black.
- InDesign Secrets is a fantastic resource for any InDesign User, nearly as useful as our classes. We subscribe to InDesign Magazine as well, which you can do here.
- CSS Tricks.
Whether beginner or expert, this is a great resource for all things a web designer or developer could want.
- InDesign: WordsFlow plugin for MS Word to InDesign Workflows.
I've been passing along a recommendation for this plugin for so long, I finally had to try it myself. Why did I wait so long? From Word to InDesign and back again with styles intact! Straightforward and reliable, it saved me hours already with the first project to which I applied it. The link above will take you to Em Software's site where you can download a 15-day trial.
- Photoshop: The Myths of Lab Mode
The Lab color model is wonderful. After all, it represents human vision. But there are claims made about why Photoshop users need it for color and tonal correction. Here, we try to set things straight. Warning: it's a little cranky.
- Lab is warped, an article by Pat Herold of Chromix, is a fun and informative look at the color space behind the ones we know: RGB and CMYK. A few reminders of the basics thrown in make a worth a look for anyone into color.
- InDesign: Ridding Your Text of Runts
Those annoying short words on their own line at the end of paragraphs are frequently called "runts" and this tip will help you prevent them.
- InDesign: maintain the same content in multiple places with Place and Link
Whether it's layered fonts or other reasons, you just sometimes need to have the same text in multiple places. This tip will make that easier.
- Equalizing Shapes in InDesign
Different sizes of objects got you down? This will make life easy—fast!
- The Adobe Pen Tool (48 min) video. Remember to download the Illustrator file (right-click, Save as). On YouTube, derived from our half-day class.
Download Steve's Photoshop User Group presentation of 18 April 2017
Recommended Books and Gear
Please, find a local bookseller, or use these amazon links...
- My Mac Hero
- Awesome Mac tech advice and assistance
- Adobe software updates.
- Adobe software forums
- Your questions may have been asked before. Some of the more common ones, and other users' solutions, may be found here.
- Color Management Services: Chromix
- Need color profiles for your printing devices? One of our cherished partners, Chromix, has revved their Color Valet service to make profiling your output devices more painless than ever.
Friends (presented in no order whatsoever)
- Jennifer Nerad
- If you've had an InDesign class here, you may already know our dear Jennifer. Check out her art—we love it!
- Lou Cuevas
- Photographer and pal Lou is also the landlord to Luminous Works' classroom. A fine host, and excellent photographer, he is.
- Andiamo Tours
- Every creative person needs to recharge. Where better to do that than in Italy? The tours from Paola's Andiamo Tours are perfect!
- Evolution Press
- In a time that is seeing a resurgence of letterpress printing, this place really stands out. Absolutely first rate stuff. If you like print, you'll love their letterpress work! They made our cards.
- Majestic Bay Theater
- gorgeous, locally owned
- Adam Crowley
- Adam is a fun and fine guy—and great photographer. Of course he's available for hire and has a rich collection of images for purchase, too.
Other training resources
If you are looking for other types of training, check out the training-classes.com directory of career training