If you are completely new to professional Desktop Publishing software, or if your experience is limited to Microsoft Office products, you should be familiar with the basic concepts and vocabulary covered in our Desktop Publishing Overview. If the topics outlined for that class are familiar, you're ready for this one!
Helpful for graphic creation, but not required to learn Photoshop, is the Adobe Pen Tool Workshop (to gain experience with the Adobe Pen Tool).
Photographers who need to master their post-shoot workflow should consider our Lightroom Photographic Workflow class. The material in that course and this is augmented by the other classes in our Photoshop curriculum.
who should take this class?
- New Photoshop users
- Intermediate Photoshop users who haven't had the chance to deeply explore the application or its current best practices
- Design, prepress, and other publishing professionals who need to tune or create images
what we cover
You may buy this book in class, and the author (instructor) will sign it for you!
Learn the important features and essential workflow for capturing, importing, editing, correcting, and outputing photographic images. We'll also discuss graphic Styles (shadows, etc).
(always customized for the students in attendance):
- Mastering Photoshop's Interface and Core Concepts
- navigating Photoshop's complex interface
- how to view & organize images for accurate assessment
- vital keyboard commands
- the power of layers demystified
- why Smart Objects are smart to use
- Learn how to isolate areas of images
- selections: geometric and organic
- when to use each selection tool: Lassos, Marquees, Quick Selection, Wand, etc.
- Use the most powerful color adjustment methods
- both global and local adjustments
- when to trust your eyes
- correct for contrast problems and color casts
- preserving detail
- non-destructive adjustments with Layers & Smart Objects
- Learn the basics of retouching and digital painting
- brushes and brush presets
- retouching tools: cloning and healing your images (and other pixel biotech)
- using painting tools to color correct
- Use Filters to rework images
- sharpening images professionally
- correct for lens deficiencies (like vignetting, distortions and lens fringing)
- sculpt your images (or "that's why models look like that!")
- Use and understand Layers, Photoshop's core feature
- nondestructive editing: save your assets
- masking vs deletion
- combining images in a new composition
- Introduce yourself to Layer Styles and effects
- drop shadows: not just cheesy ones, either
- bevel and emboss for dimensional effects
- Printing essentials
- Photoshop vs printer drivers: an ongoing battle
- preparing images for print
Photoshop CS6 Essentials—two days— $525
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.